Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Eat Clean 2013

Eat Clean 2013...that is what I declared for my NYE resolution this year. While I would like to think I have dived into that, I have at least stuck one leg in. (The other is up to my waist in peanut butter and chocolate...can't blame a girl!) I have started experimenting with lots of new recipes and try to make sure I at least try to eat clean as much as possible. I am always fascinated with what people eat and new things to try so here is what I found works for me.

I have fallen in love with smoothies as my clean eating breakfast. Turns out, as a reformed extreme picky eater, I find I can swallow just about anything if it is cold and mixed with berries. So here is my current favourite smoothie recipe:
Berry Spinach Smoothie


Ingredients:
2 cups frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries
1 banana
1/2 cup juice (I have tried almond milk - it wasn't delicious and I have tried just water and it was gagable, but a mix of watered down juice is the best). Try to use pure juice ie: orange or pomegranate.
2 Tbsp ground flax
2 Tbsp chia (ground or seeds)
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
2 cups of baby spinach or as much as you can squeeze in (you cannot taste it trust me!)

Directions:
Combine in blender and blend! This recipe makes enough for 2 people.
I don't chug mine down so I put it in my Starbucks doubled walled coffee mug (which keeps it cold and drinkable for hours). Keep in mind the chia will turn into little chunks if it sits for long. I realize I may not be making this sound very appealing, but the chia really gives you an energy boost and it is tasty. The best part: As I sit at the office sucking down my concoction I feel the sweet satisfaction that comes from drinking a spinach salad for breakfast. Take that Eat Clean 2013....take that!

I drink this from about 8:00-9:30am and by 9:30-10:00am I am hungry again so enter my favourite tasty treat: No-bake energy bites. I found this recipe from the fabulous Katie over at My Keep Calm and Carry On and made some changes that I prefer, try it and let me know what you think!



Ingredients:
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 to 1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter or almond butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup chia, or holy crap mix
1/2 chopped walnuts
1/2 crasins
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, use an ice cream scoop to form into 1.5-2 inch balls and put into cupcake papers (this makes eating and traveling with them easier).
Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 10-15 balls

Happy Clean Eating!!

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try your energy bites. Looks delicious. Loving your blog Ally :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmm cannot wait to make the energy balls! I hope they turn out precisely as amazing as yours tasted! Keep up the posts!! I'll have to go back and read them all! Love this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete